How to Stencil Decorative Art Using the Casablanca Card Size Stencil
TGIF, my DIY decorating friends! Are you feeling like you could use a little DIY motivation to get you through the weekend? Cutting Edge Stencils is here to help you. We have some crafting inspiration that involves a favorite saying and a fabulous stencil. Come check it out…
We’d like to introduce Natalie, the DIY craft queen (as we like to call her) from Doodlecraft. Natalie decided to create some DIY decorative art that would be perfect for a craft room. After reading the saying, “I just want to make Beautiful Things even if nobody cares” she quickly fell in love with it and made it her personal motto. Natalie planned to craft a motivational piece of art using her favorite motto and our Casablanca Card Stencil. First she painted the Moroccan pattern on a piece of card stock. Then she printed out the inspirational phrase and enhanced it with a metallic paint marker. Once it was complete, she stuck it in this adorable vintage frame. Natalie says, ” Love it!” Awe, we do too!
Today we’re going to give you the inside scoop on how to recreate the look of that decorative frame (this project comes from Doodlecraft ):
First you’re gonna need this stuff listed below:
Card stock paper
A card size stencil (for this project the Casablanca Card Stencil was used)
- Stencil brush <— We prefer the one in this link.
- Blue painter’s tape
- Small paint tray or plastic plate
- Paper towels
- Acrylic craft paint (found at a local craft store like Michaels or JoAnns)
- Vintage Frame
1. Gather Materials: Start the stencil project by gathering all of the materials listed above. Natalie used our Casablanca Card Stencil and card stock paper.
2. Start Stenciling: Pour some paint onto a plate or paint tray. For this project, Natalie used aqua acrylic craft paint.
Tape the stencil to the mat to hold it in place. Using your Stencil brush dip it into the paint. Blot off the excess paint onto your folded paper towel until the brush looks almost dry. The key to stenciling is using as little paint as possible. Too much paint will cause the design to bleed and smudge. Always start with the edges. Use a dabbing motion with your stencil brush to start painting in from the edges of your design.
3. Add the Inspirational Message: Once you’ve painted the entire stencil design, let the paint dry.
While the stenciled card stock is drying, print your favorite inspirational saying. Natalie printed “I just want to make Beautiful Things even if nobody cares.” Then she colored in some of the words using a metallic gold marker.
4. Insert Into the Frame! Complete the look of your custom decorative art by placing your craft into a vintage frame.
Then step back and admire your gorgeous stenciling job! See how easy that was?
Tell us: What saying would you like to use in a decorative frame? Leave us a comment below!
Haven’t had enough stenciling fun:
- Shop our stencil collections on the Cutting Edge Stencils website!
- Follow us on Pinterest and Instagram to see awesome inspirational photos!
- Have you completed a stencil project? Come share it on Facebook!
Thanks for reading, and happy stenciling!
Michelle and the Cutting Edge Stencils Crew