How to Stencil A Pretty Pattern on a Magazine Rack
Good morning, my DIY decorating friends! We here at Cutting Edge Stencils strongly believe that life should be filled with fun patterns and bold colors. Don’t you agree? So when we see a plain white surface, you know like a plain white Ikea magazine rack, we just love the idea of adding a stenciled touch. Come take a look at this DIY project that might be simple but packs a patterned punch.
Meet Kristi, the DIY craft queen (as we like to call her) from Notes For My Little Ladies. Kristi had a boring white magazine rack that she used to organize the clutter in her home office. It was a functional piece that lacked pattern and personality. We sent her our Zamira Card Stencil, one of our new card size stencils that is perfect for cards, scrapbook pages or small craft projects. Kristi cleverly used the stencil to transform the magazine rack into this! Kristi says, “I am very happy with how it turned out. I love the pattern and the extra pop of color it adds to the room. Thank you, Cutting Edge Stencils!”
Here’s the stenciling scoop on how to stencil your Ikea magazine rack (this project comes from Notes For My Little Ladies ):
First you’re gonna need this stuff listed below:
White Ikea Magazine Rack
A card size stencil (for this project the Zamira Card Stencil was used)
- Stencil brush <— We prefer the one in this link.
- Blue painter’s tape
- Small paint tray or plastic plate
- Paper towels
- Acrylic craft paint (found at a local craft store like Michaels or JoAnns)
1. Prep the Surface: Use a damp sponge to clean your magazine holder with a solution of water and dish washing liquid. This will ensure that all of the dust and dirt have been cleaned off the item. Also, it’s best to stencil before the item is assembled however Kristi stenciled her magazine holder while it was already attached to the wall. Then use blue painters tape to secure the stencil to the magazine rack while you paint.
2. Pour Your Paint: Pour some paint onto a plate or paint tray. Kristi used acrylic craft paint in four different colors for this project.
3. Start Stenciling: Then using your Stencil brush dip it into the paint. Blot off the excess paint onto your folded paper towel until the brush looks almost dry. The key to stenciling is using as little paint as possible. Too much paint will cause the design to bleed and smudge. Always start with the edges. Use a dabbing motion with your stencil brush to start painting in from the edges of your design.
4. Tape, Paint, Repeat! You will need to reposition your stencil to continue the design. Simply line it up with the painted pattern. Continue on with the pattern until the entire rack is covered.
Once your stencil is complete, you’re ready to step back and admire your gorgeous stenciling job! Just think about it, in four easy peasy steps you managed to pretty up that plain jane magazine rack!
Tell us: Do you have a magazine rack that is screaming for a patterned makeover? Leave us a comment below!
Haven’t had enough stenciling fun:
- Shop our stencil collections on the Cutting Edge Stencils website!
- Follow us on Pinterest and Instagram to see awesome inspirational photos!
- Have you completed a stencil project? Come share it on Facebook!
Thanks for reading, and happy stenciling!
Michelle and the Cutting Edge Stencils Crew