Cutting Edge Stencils Makes A Stencil Cameo on the Oprah Network’s Home Made Simple Show
Happy Tuesday, my DIY loving friends. Boy, has Cutting Edge Stencils been popular this year. We’ve been spotted in Paint It Magazine, DIY Magazine, and MTV’s the Real World Ex-plosion and it’s only January! The good news is that it just doesn’t seem to stop. We recently saw one of our fab stencil designs on an episode of Home Made Simple. Can we get a couple of bravos or maybe a standing ovation for our recent celebrity status? We can hardly contain our enthusiasm for this latest small screen stint. Let’s recap it.
Home Made Simple, the latest and greatest Oprah Network show, is all about helping people makeover their spaces and repurpose their favorite items. It features Soleil Moon Frye, as the host, and her team of experts, including our stencil designer Kim Myles. The experts use a series of clever ideas and simple do it yourself projects to makeover the space for the big reveal. You can watch the show on Saturdays at 9am/8c on OWN but if you missed our stencil cameo then watch it below.
In this episode, Kim Myles helps a loving couple with a large family get the new living space that the big family needs. She shows viewers how to stencil culturally inspired throw pillows. Here’s how she did it.
First you’re gonna need this stuff listed below:
A stencil (for this project the African Kuba Craft Stencil was used)
- Stencil brush <— We prefer the one in this link.
- Elmer’s Repositionable Spray Adhesive
- Washable Spray Fabric Paint
1. Gather Materials: Start the stencil project by gathering all of the materials listed above.
2. Spray the Stencil: Position the stencil design on the pillow. Measure the placement of the stencil to ensure the pattern is centered. Then spray the back of the stencil with the spray adhesive. This will adhere the stencil to the pillow cover and help keep paint from seeping underneath. When spraying the stencil, be sure to do it in an open area.
3. Position the Stencil: Lay your stencil flat and press it down. Then position the extra cardboard around the stencil to mask off any areas you do not want painted.
4. Start Stenciling: Then spray the washable fabric paint over the stencil pattern. For this project, Kim used gold and black fabric paint. Allow the paint to dry a little and reposition the stencil so you can continue to paint the pattern on the entire surface. Use the guide marks on the stencil to line up the pattern. Let the paint dry for four hours.
5. Add a Drop Shadow: Once you get the first layer of the pattern complete and it’s dry, then position the stencil over the existing pattern but off-set to the right by a quarter of an inch. Then spray it with the second color. Remove the stencil and you’ll be in awe of of the drop shadow you just created.
See how easy that was to dress up a pillow with stencils? Now let’s admire your gorgeous home decor creation!
Would you consider stenciling a throw pillow? Leave us a comment below!
Looking for more stencil fun?
- Shop our stencil designs and find the perfect stencil for your project!
- Follow us on Pinterest to see awesome inspirational photos!
- Have you completed a stencil project? Come share it on Facebook!
Thanks for reading and happy stenciling!
Michelle and the Cutting Edge Stencils Crew
Please tell me how I can get these stencils in India. I am more interested in Geometrical patterns.
Once you have added all of your items into your cart, you will be able to view what you have added. From there you will select the country you wish to send your stencils to and click “checkout”. You can now either create an account with us, or check out without crating an account. Once you select your option, you will be able to enter your shipping/billing information and place your order.
Hope this helps!
Cutting Edge Stencils